Thursday, November 03, 2005

Spiritual Formation, Surfing and Stuff

The Journey I'm On

As I open my blog and enter into the blogosphere I thought it would be best if I share my background. You know, the stuff that has developed the person that types here today.

In our culture, there are so many things going on around us that affect us and form us. Things that involve family matters, morality, education, world events, love and so forth. All this I call, "stuff." In essence, I may write on some of the most random things, but this randomness is a reflection of the culture happening around me.

Secondly, I LOVE SURFING. To me there is nothing better than to ride on a wave (except for time with God and my lovely wife). To me, the ocean reflects two of the most incredible characteristics of God-- beauty and power. The ocean-- my "Garden of Gethsemane," my "Peniel," and my sanctuary. It is there that I truly spend time with God the Father and share my most intimate thoughts and it will be here where I try to place them in words.

And finally, feeding the soul and living the life Jesus has called us to-- what I refer to as spiritual formation, or spiritual reformation. I want to discover God's will and plan for me as a man, husband, father, friend, mentor and worker in a way that can only reveal the glory of God. It is a high calling, but a wonderful journey nonetheless. It is Romans 8:37-39 and Php 3:7-11 that inspire this "Pursuit of God" as A.W. Tozer calls it.

In any case, I don't know how this is going to be formed, but it is my hope that the Truth can be told through this surfer on a laptop. Let's do this journey together!

No comments: